Sunday, September 25, 2011

Qingdao

the beach close to my apartment
Alright.  My last post was more than lacking and I know it.  Although nothing exciting has happened still, the past couple of weeks have been a positive turning point and I feel like my writer's block is breaking way.  Perhaps it was my much needed weekend walk on the beach: toes in the sand, sun on the skin...perhaps it was the wino diet I've indulged in...whatever it is, it's working.

My kids are great.  I was [am] really intimidated by some of their parents and the fact that I have so many nugs compared to last year, but it's going pretty smoothly.  I have quite a few characters, and definitely an entertaining bunch.  Photos soon to come.

shrimping (I think...at least they looked like shrimp) behind my school
The school is downright dreamy compared to my previous employer.  I was greeted at the airport with a smile and a welcome packet on the city...my apartment was stocked with water, juice, and snacks and I was taken to get a SIM card for my phone soon after getting in so that I could stay in contact with the school liaisons.  **Hey Noblesse...take some notes on how to treat a lady!**  My visa and paperwork were taken care of in a timely fashion and the people who run the school are both efficient and competent.  And get this...we have a curriculum!  It's a whole new experience for me.  Our school is also conveniently located directly across the street from a Tsingtao brewery....about twice a week it smells like toast in the morning, which is a lovely break from the rest of the Chinese smells that usually blow around.  It's a 2 minute walk to the sea where there is a quiet boardwalk with grandparents walking their grand-babies and local fishermen setting their nets up.

I have quickly come to realize that speaking Mandarin is quite necessary here. I've picked up a lot in the past few weeks from my co-teacher, and hopefully once I get Rosetta Stone downloaded I'll be pretty solid for a while.  By the time my 2 years here are finished, I should be able to hold conversations.  I will undoubtedly not attempt reading and writing anytime soon.  Babysteps!

I bought a folding bike so I can get around town, exercise, and travel easily.  It's so cute! And fits nicely in the shopping cart...convenient.  Between the ridiculous amount of stairs I climb each day and this little gem, I'm about to have legs/buns of steel!  It only takes 8 minutes to ride to the beach and I can fold it up and stuff it on the bus when I want to ride around the rural villages.  Perfect.  I also bought a wave board which is kind of like a skateboard but with 2 wheels.  The tag says it is a mixture of skateboarding, snowboarding, and surfing.  I ride it back and forth on my living room floor and hopefully will soon gain the confidence to take it to the parking lot.  So far, it's a great source of entertainment.

Hopefully I'll make it to a village or two next weekend so I can finally get some shots up of China.  I promise to be better about updates and pictures.  As for contacting me- my internet is still too poor for Skype, but I check e-mail quite regularly :D

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this!! I miss you lots!! I need to fill you in....I know it's been forever. I promise soon soon!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad and I enjoyed your update. I am sharing your blog site with others (our friends) who ask about you. Guess what? An hour + phone call to China without international calling plans cost $393.63! We now have an international calling plan and hope to talk to you again soon. Love you! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your blog so much Meredith. You are quite an adventurer!I am going to pass your link onto my cousin's husband who just returned from a long trip to China. I believe he speaks Chinese and maybe he can help you out. His name is Bruce Moon and he lives in California - so maybe he will be in touch. Looking forward to more adventures....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. egads...I just typed about 1000 words and they disappeared..ouch...
    Your mom's friend Kathy Rechter is my wife's cousin. My name is Bruce Moon. I am a China nut. I wish I was there! My Skype is eslbruce and my e-mail is eslbruce@gmail.com
    I think you will have better luck using websites, podcasts and books to learn Chinese than Rosetta stone.
    CCTV: http://english.cntv.cn/learnchinese/ has 1000's of hours of Chinese instruction The latest is designed for teenagers and might fit well with your class instruction (like there is one about parent/teacher conferences and another one that shows a student entering the class late and the Chinese teacher giving the student a dressing down). Other good series are Easy Chinese, Travel in Chinese and Communicate in Chinese. The last one can be bought in a Chinese bookstore like Xinhua. After you learn some, you will enjoy the Happy Chinese series.
    A good book with CD's is New Practical Chinese Reader. The book comes with a DVD for your computer. There are about six books in the series. It probably will take you 10 years to finish them. You can get it at Xinhua too.
    Two good podcast series are Medlock Method Chinese and Chineseclass101.com . Medlock are very practical lessons like Medlock Method for Taxi, ...for restaurant, etc. There are video versions. I get mine through iTunes but I found iTunes all but one place in China. Chineseclass101.com is free but you can get their premium class feed for $25 a month, download two years worth of lessons at all of their levels, and then cancel.
    A strange one is Serge Melnyk's Chinese podcast...a Russian teaching Chinese with a strong English accent. He uses a native speaker and he has 100's of lessons. More quirky yet is PopupChinese.com which makes very memorable lessons about things like boy genius making an electric chair. There is real Chinese in the lessons. That podcast feed includes regular talks by China experts called Sinica.
    www.enterzon.org is a role playing game for learning Chinese developed by a midwestern university for the Confucius Institute, a Chinese government program for spreading Chinese culture
    A website for language learning that includes social networking with Chinese who want to learn English and lessons like Rosetta Stone is www.livemocha.com you may have some trouble bringing it up in English in China... keep trying....
    www.yellowbridge.com is a great site for flashcards that go with different Chinese books like New Practical Chinese Reader.
    A book I picked up in a Chinese bookstore in Xiaolan that I think is great for the essentials is 15 Minute Chinese by DK...you do need a Chinese teacher to give you the pronunciation though
    Finally, I have a friend in Qingdao. She works at the university. She's single and spends most of her spare time trying to improve her English, but she's also a patient Chinese teacher (but she's not a trained teacher). E-mail me if you want her Skype
    That's enough for now..oh, your parents can probably get a cheaper international calling card at a Chinese grocery store. They can also use Skype out by buying Skype credit




    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the info, Bruce! I've just gotten internet again after 2+ weeks without it... I'm a bit back logged with work and emails to catch up with, but I will definitely be checking out those sites!

    ReplyDelete